Kansas City, MO – Mid-Continent Public Library’s Blue Ridge Branch (9253 Blue Ridge Blvd., Kansas City, MO 64138) will debut its first-ever How-To Fair this Saturday, April 29 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. During the festival, the Library will offer more than 30 instructional sessions on how to accomplish a variety of interesting, practical, and entertaining tasks—from tips on how to dress for success to learning how to make an emergency kit for your car.
“Mid-Continent Public Library’s How-To Fair is really all about strengthening our local community,” said Geri Haile, MCPL Blue Ridge Branch Manager. “Our goal is to give residents the opportunity to learn something that will benefit their lives, with some fun thrown into the mix. That could be learning how to manage stress, honing your interview skills, or gathering tips on how to get your mower ready for the summer season. It could be learning about how the Library helps students with homework or how to check out an eBook and read it on your phone!”
How-To Fair programs are grouped into seven unique categories, and each program is led by a community partner or topic expert from across the city such as the Kansas City, MO, Health Department, the Full Employment Council, or members of the Library’s own staff. Additionally, MCPL’s Reading Rocket, a mobile early literacy unit that travels to underserved areas of the community, will be onsite all day offering storytimes and early literacy activities for the whole family. All programs are free to the public.
How-To Fair programs include:
It’s My City
- How to Make an Emergency Kit for Your Car – 10:00 a.m.
- How to Talk with Police/How to Report a Crime – 10:30 a.m.
- How to Get Involved/Be Empowered in Hickman Mills – 11:00 a.m.
- How to Join NextDoor – 11:30 a.m.
- Safety for Teens – 12:30 p.m.
Look Good/Feel Good
- How to Manage Your Stress, for Adults and Teens – 10:15 a.m.
- How to Live Happier – 10:45 a.m.
- How to Make Your Own Jewelry – 11:15 a.m.
- Braiding and Caring for Biracial and African American Kids’ Hair – 12:15 p.m.
- How to Prepare for Employment – 10:00 a.m. & 10:30 a.m.
- Dressing For Your Career Path – 11:30 a.m.
- How to Tie a Tie – Noon
- Interview Techniques – 12:30 p.m.
- Homework Help for Parents – 10:00 a.m.
- Accessing eBooks with OverDrive – 10:30 a.m.
- Tech Q&A Help Session – 11:00 a.m. & 11:30 a.m.
- Tips for Using Your Android Device – Noon
- Tools for Job Seekers – 12:30 p.m.
- Paint Pennants – 10:00 a.m.
- Paint Around the Hole – 10:30 a.m.
- How to Build a Spaghetti Tower – 11:00 a.m.
- How to Play Math Games – 11:30 a.m.
- How to Paint with a Muffin Tin – Noon
- STEM Demonstration – 12:30 p.m.
All in Fun
- How to Juggle – 10:00 a.m.
- How to Make Paper Flowers – 10:30 a.m.
- Sensory Table for Kids – 11:00 a.m. & 11:30 a.m.
- How to Make Balloon Animals – Noon
- Improvisation Exercises – 12:30 p.m.
Take It Outside
- How to Get a Mower Ready for Spring and Summer – 10:00 a.m. & 10:30 a.m.
- How to Grow Zucchini and Cucumbers – 10:00 a.m. (until planting supplies run out)
- How to Maintain a Bicycle – 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- How to Play Disc Golf – 10:00 a.m. – Noon
To link to this information online: mymcpl.org/HowTo.