Geared Up for Martin City’s Parade and Whiskey Run
You’ll know it’s a different parade when Grand Marshall Gary Fish of FishTech leads the parade with his robot Pepper at his side. Many changes are happening with Martin City’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade and 5K Whiskey Run. And it’s exciting.
Sunday, March 11, begins at 8:30 a.m. with the annual 5K Whiskey Run. This year Kansas City’s own Rieger & Co. is the sponsor of the run and will have shots of whiskey at the sideline. Currently there are over 700 runners registered. Martin City’s future coffee shop, Martin City Coffee, will have a pop-up coffee stand at the race and Jack Stack will be hosting the morning breakfast. A kids’ run will be held at 9:30 a.m.
The parade, which has the theme “Geared for the Future” begins at 2 p.m. There are over 60 entries in the parade. Some of the highlights include:
* Irish dancers, including the largest group, O’Riada, with 80 dancers
* Lukas Wine & Spirits’ hand- built robot
* Lucky 13 Rescue walking adoptable dogs
* “Irish Shenanigans to Mars”
* Several equestrian entries, including KCPD Mounted Patrol, Saddle & Sirloin, & the Show Me Riders
* Excellent representation from the elected officials/public service organizations
* Mrs. Johnson County USA
* Blues Sistas and Misters
* St. Patrick who is new to the parade this year
Candy will be passed out to children lined up along the parade route, which starts at 135th and Washington St. and
ends at Holmes Rd.
There will be no costume contests for children or pets prior to the parade, as was the case in previous parades.
This year there was no entry fee to be in the parade. For more information on being a part of the parade, call the Martin City Community Improvement District at 816-308-1023.