An update on local High-School & College Sports in South Kansas City
By Sam Kombrink
Despite losing 38-21 on Senior Day to the Tabor Blue-Jays, The Eagles of Avila should hold their heads high after a record setting season.
For the first time in school history the Eagles were able to finish the season above the .500 mark. Finishing the season with a record of (7-3) and finishing 3rd in their new conference the KCAC, the highest they have ever finished in program history.
They were led by first year head coach Marc Benavidez, who played at Avila University. The future continues to be bright for Avila, as they look to build upon the 2018 season, and hope to win the KCAC next season to compete for a National Championship.
Here are the top performers from the 2018 season.
Passing: (Avila ran with a 3 Quarterback System)
- (#6) Quarterback, Jakob Jordan – 10 games, 83 completions, 165 attempts, 1371 yards, 10 touchdowns, 6 interceptions, longest pass: 75 yards
- (#1) Quarterback, John Jacobs III – 7 games, 84 completions, 164 attempts, 1310 yards, 16 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, longest pass: 95 yards
- (#15) Quarterback, Tristan Askan – 4 games, 30 completions, 54 attempts, 334 yards, 0 touchdowns, 1 interception, longest pass: 43
- (#1) Quarterback, John Jacobs III – 7 games, 85 attempts, 590 yards, 11 touchdowns
- (#4) Running-back, Jacob Carmouche – 10 games, 77 attempts, 463 yards, 4 touchdowns
- – (#2) Wide-Receiver, Theo Berry – 10 games, 1,143 yards, 10 touchdowns
- (#43) Linebacker, Deshayne Stevens – 10 games, 35 solo tackles, 27 assisted tackles, 62 total tackles, 1.0 sack
High-School Football – 2018 Simone Award –
The Simone Award recognizes the top football player in Kansas City. The 36th annual Simone Award Trophy was awarded to Graham Mertz, Senior quarterback, of Blue Valley North High-School. The Simone award is headed back over the state line after spending seven years in Missouri. The last Kansan to win the coveted award was Gardner Edgerton’s Bubba Starling, in 2010. Starling is now competing in the Kansas City Royals Farm System, after almost deciding to play quarterback at The University of Nebraska.
Mertz led the Blue Valley North Mustangs to back to back State Championship games against Derby High-School. Winning it all in 2017, by a score of 49-42. The Mustangs came up short of going back to back, losing this season by a score of 24-16.
Mertz threw for a new state record of 51 Touchdowns, 10 Interceptions, and 4,008 passing yards while rushing for 4 Touchdowns as well. Mertz has committed to taking his talents to play quarterback at The University of Wisconsin.
High-School Men’s Basketball
- Rockhurst Hawklets – (7-0) #1 Ranked Basketball program in Missouri.
Next Game: 7 pm, Friday, December 21st vs Bishop Miege (2-0)
- Grandview Bulldogs – (6-1)
Next Game: Wednesday, 10 a.m. December 26th, vs. Lincoln Valley Prep (neutral game)
- Center Yellow-Jackets – (4-3)
Next Game: 3 pm Thursday, December 27th, vs Park Hill (7-2)
- Barstow Knights – (2-4)
Next Game: 7:30 pm, Friday, January 4th, @ Maranatha
- Lutheran Knights – (5-2)
Next Game: 4 pm, Monday, January 7th, vs Ozanam (1-6)
Men’s College Basketball –
- Avila Eagles – (5-6)
Next Game: 1 pm, Saturday, December 29th, vs Baker University (6-7)