By Kady Cramer
Summer is coming up fast. Here are the details on ways you can engage your little one this camp season, from sports to theatre, from cooking to gaming. Whether it be special needs, spiritual, or simply adventure – local camps are outdoing themselves.
- 11511 State Line Rd
- Barstow combines innovative academics, individualized learning and an emphasis on STEAM (science, technology, engineering, the arts and math) to provide the best independent school education. Barstow offers 615 (yes, you read that right) camp choices in 10 different categories for ages 3-14. Camp hours include the morning, afternoon, and extended days into the evening May 23 – August 12. Visit barstowschool.org/summer, 816-942-3255.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kansas City – Atomic Blast Summer Enrichment Program
- 10401 Hillcrest Rd
- Kids learn math and science skills through fun activities and nurture a love of learning through reading comprehension and writing exercises. This 9-week program runs Jun 6 – August 5. Affordable with low to no program fees. Must be enrolled in a local club. Visit bgc-gkc.org/program/atomic-blast-summer-program, 816-462-0172.
Campfire Heartland –Camp Compass Summer Camp
- 7310 Oakwood Drive, – Camp Lake of the Woods
- Campfire’s Summer Day Camp includes hiking at Camp Lake of the Woods, experiencing nature and the outdoors, guest speakers, archery range shooting, and more. Camp weeks run June 6 – July 29. Cost is $225/week, ages 6-14. Scholarships available. Visit campfireheartland.org/camp, 816-285-2026.
Hillcrest Community Center – Summer Enrichment Camp
- 10401 Hillcrest Rd,
- Your child will stay socially, mentally, and physically active in this 10-week day camp, June 6 – August 12. Lunch and snacks provided. Cost is $80/week, ages 6-13. Visit kcparks.org, 816-513-8560.
St. Teresa’s Academy STA Summer Academic Camps
- 5600 Main St.
- Students will use a variety of materials and techniques to explore their creative sides by coding robots, modeling clay, engineering games, building models, and more. Cost and dates vary by classes in the arts, programming, engineering and construction. Visit stteresasacademy.org/academics/summer-camps, 816-501-0011.
Youthfront – Camp LaCygne
- 22626 E 2400th Rd, Lacygne, KS
- Youthfront’s Camp LaCygne sits on 600-acres of beautiful trails, forest, and open spaces. This day camp offers children the opportunity to discover God’s love all while sleeping in the comfort of their own bed at home throughout the week. 10 weeks available, May 31 – August 5. Cost varies week-to-week from $170-$275, grades 1-5. Overnight camps are also offered for grades 3-12 at Youthfront’s Camp West, located in Edgerton, KS. Costs and times vary. Visit youthfront.com/youthfront-camp/camp, 913-262-3900.
The Regnier Family Wonderscope Children’s Museum Wonder Camp –
- 433 E Red Bridge Rd
- Meet new friends and enjoy stimulating, themed learning in museum exhibits with indoor and outdoor activities, group games, art projects, and exploration playtime. Multiple themes available, June 6 – August 5. Cost is $175/week, ages 4-8. Visit wonderscope.org/wonder-camp, 816-643-6700.
Camp Encourage – Overnight Summer Camp Sessions
- 12778 189th St., Linwood, KS
- Each camp offers a quality experience involving relationship development, recreation, and relaxation and is specifically designed to meet the needs of children and youth with autism spectrum disorders. Sessions begin June 15-18 and July 20-23. Session cost is $1,295, ages 8-18. Scholarships available. Visit campencourage.org, 816-830-7171.
Marlborough Community Center Inclusion Summer Camp
- 8200 The Paseo
- This NEW summer camp is designed for kids of all abilities. Lunch and snacks provided. Camp plans are created using accommodation forms to ensure all kids have a quality experience. Cost is $80/week, ages 6-13. Visit kcparks.org, 816-513-7800.
Grandview Christian School – Birds of a Feather Flock Together
- Turning Point Church – 9150 Blue Ridge Blvd,
- Come and learn about all things flighty and feathery as we explore and learn about birds. Field trips include Splash Park, the KC Zoo, bowling, swimming, and the public library. Camp runs May 31 – August 12. Cost is $175/week or $50 per /drop-in, ages 3 to 6th grade. Extended care available. Visit grandviewchristianschool.com/summer-camp, 816-767-8630.
Lutheran High School – Elementary Camps
- 12401 Wornall Rd.
- The 2022 Lutheran High Elementary Summer Camps include separate camps for art, coed basketball, bands, basketball shooting, and running. Camps run during the months of June and are open to 3rd to 8th Grade students Cost for each athletic camp is $50; Art Camp is $75. Contact Lutheran High School Elementary Camps for more information.
- 3823 Locust St.
- Besides exceptional instruction from esteemed faculty and staff, all campers will also receive a camp t-shirt and daily snack. The 8-week camp runs June 6 – July 29. Pre-K – 3rd grade. Cost is $300 for full day classes and $150 for half day. Visit ndsion.edu/student-life/summer, 816-753-3810.
Red Bridge United Methodist Church, Early Childhood Center
- 636 E 117 St.
- Caring teachers and small class sizes allows for fun activities, art, music, movement, and more. Each week offers a new theme including ‘crafty campers’ and ‘wacky world of sports’, June 7 – July 14. Cost is $100/week, ages 3-5. Visit redbridgeumc.org, 816-942-4262.
St. Thomas More School – Summer Cyclones
- 11822 Holmes Rd,
- Kids will stay sharp on their academic skills and participate in a healthy dose of fun-filled activities on site. For students entering pre-k to 7th grade. Camp runs May 31 – August 5. Weekly fees are $250/5 days, $200/3days, $150/2 days, $75/single day. Visit stmkcschool.org, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Theatre & Arts
The Martin City Melodrama – Throw a Crème Pie Camp
- 702 Blue Ridge Ext.,
- Learn how to perform classic comedy and slapstick as well as physical and musical theatre. Small senior rescue dogs from local shelters included in some acts. Campers will put on an original vaudeville show for family and friends on the Martin City Melodrama stage. The show finale includes a good old fashioned pie fight. Camp runs June 20 – 25. Cost is $125, best suited for ages 5-16. Stage and theatre are fully accessible and the welcome abilities of all student performers. Email email@example.com, 913-642-7576.
- Red Bridge Shopping Center – 11141 Locust St.
- ImPulse is the Art Center’s recreational program, open to all dancers. Classes run June 13 – August 11. Tuition based on hours per week. Visit thepulsepac.com, 816-941-2278.
Rockhurst High School – Madagascar JR: A Musical Adventure
- Rockhurst High School Theatre Department – 9301 State Line Rd
- All actors will receive a role based on auditions to hear voices and decide the best fit for each performer. Enjoy a fun week of learning ending with a live show. Camp runs June 13-17 with a final performance that Sunday. Cost is $200, ages 8-14. Visit rockhursths.edu/summer-the-rock, 816-363-2036l
Eagles Gymnastics Super Spectacular Summer Camp
- 209 W. 135th St.
- Kid-inspired, campers will have a jam-packed summer full of gymnastics and tumbling. Activities will include ninja obstacle courses and rope climbing along with lessons in science, cooking, yoga, outdoor fun, and open gym time. Camp runs June 6 – August 12, ages 5 and up. Cost is $300/week or $75/day. Visit eaglesgymnastics.com/programs/camps, 816-941-9529.
Integrity Martial Arts Academy – KICK IT Karate Summer Camp
- 11130 Holmes Rd,
- Boys and girls of all ages can enjoy indoor and outdoor games, martial arts training, field trips, arts and crafts, movies, and more. Choose from three sessions, June 13 – July 22. Cost is $200/week and $40/day. Visit kcintegritykarate.com/classes/Summer-Camp, 816-761-0143.
Notre Dame de Sion – Take Your Summer by Storm Sports Camps
- 10631 Wornall Rd
- Sion sports camps create opportunities for students in grades 3-8 to develop skills through individual instruction and peer interaction in the sport of their choice. Sports include basketball, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, and volleyball. Cost and dates vary by sport. Visit ndsion.edu/student-life/summer, 816-942-3282.
St. Teresa’s Academy STA Summer Sports Camps –
- 5600 Main St.
- St. Teresa’s Academy is proud to partner with the Children’s Mercy Kansas City Center for Sports Medicine. Sports include basketball, cross country, dance, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field, volleyball, and performance training. Cost and dates vary by sport. Visit stteresasacademy.org/academics/summer-camps, 816-501-0011.